Wishing everyone who celebrates Hanukkah a happy holiday!
Challah is a traditional Jewish bread made with eggs that is slightly sweet and super delicious. This variation is created using the bread machine (which makes baking bread soooo much easier) and is prepared with cocoa powder and chocolate chips to add more subtle sweetness. Enjoy this at breakfast time, brunch, or just as a snack! It’s fabulous toasted up with some cream cheese or jam.
CHOCOLATE SWIRL CHALLAH
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, beaten
1 1/2 Tbsp. of canola oil
1/2 Tbsp. of vanilla extract
3/4 cup of water
2 cups of bread flour
1 tsp. of salt
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp. of bread machine yeast
1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
WHAT TO DO:
- Mix together all of the wet ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and pour into the pan of your bread machine.
- Layer in the dry ingredients in the following order: salt, cocoa powder, sugar, bread flour. Make a small well with your finger into the flour and dump in the yeast.
- Set the bread machine to the “Sweet Bread” cycle, set the crust color to medium, and set the size to a 1 lb. loaf. Press Start.
- Between knead one and knead two, add the chocolate chips to the dough ball.
- The bread machine timer will go off once the bread is finished. Immediately remove the bread from the pan and place on a cutting board or wire rack to cool.
- Slice and enjoy!