Desserts for breakfast is probably one of my favorite things about the holiday season. There is always some kind of cake, cookie, or pie left over from the celebrations – and don’t lie – when you wake up in the morning, you go for it. We all do. No shame here.
Who doesn’t love cake for breakfast?!
I almost exclusively make this recipe as a breakfast cake – even though it is by no means a healthy breakfast. However, it goes perfectly with a cup of coffee or tea and it is sure to make your morning infinitely more delicious.
CINNAMON & HONEY BREAKFAST CAKE
WHAT YOU NEED:
For the cake –
1 box of golden butter cake mix
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup of plain nonfat greek yogurt
1/2 cup of canola oil
1/4 cup of honey
3 tsp. of ground cinnamon
1 cup of light brown sugar
For the glaze-
2 cups of confectioners sugar
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. of honey
6 tbsp. of vanilla almond milk (regular milk works fine, too)
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9″x13″ baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs, yogurt, oil, and honey. Pour into the prepared dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle all over the top of the cake batter, and swirl it into the batter using a butter knife.
- Pop the cake into the oven and bake for approx. 45 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the glaze by combining all of the ingredients (confectioners sugar, extract, honey, and almond milk) in a small bowl and whisking until there are no lumps left and all of the sugar is dissolved.
- Once the cake has been taken out of the oven, immediately pour the glaze over the top and smooth it out with the back of a spoon.
- Wait until the cake cools and the glaze hardens, and then eat up!!!