Let this be the dessert that closes out 2017.
These cream puffs are delicious and adorable. I have never met someone who didn’t love them.
This super-simple, super-tasty recipe has been passed down from my grandmother, to my mother, to me. These are a staple at any of our family gatherings, and for good reason – THEY RULE. When dusted with powdered sugar, they look super classy and sophisticated to boot. Nobody would ever believe how easy they are to make!
I’m sure you and your family will enjoy them just as much as we always did and still do. Bring them to a NYE party and impress your friends! =)
CREAM PUFF PASTRIES
WHAT YOU NEED:
for the dough-
2 sticks of butter
1 cup of water
1 cup of flour
for the filling-
2 cups of heavy cream
1 large box of Jell-O instant vanilla pudding (or 2 small boxes)
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter and water. Mix until butter is completely melted and starting to foam. Remove from heat.
- Add the flour to the saucepan and mix thoroughly.
- Add the eggs to the saucepan one at a time, beating after each egg. There should be no flour lumps left in the dough.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out the dough on to an ungreased cookie sheet around 3″ apart.
- Bake until the dough turns into little puffs, around 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In the meantime, make the filling. Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the vanilla pudding with the heavy cream until peaks form. Refrigerate for around 30 minutes.
- Once the puffs have been cooled and the filling has been refrigerated, it’s time to assemble the pastries. Using a small sharp knife, cut a slit into the side of each puff so it resembles something like a hamburger bun (cut most of the way through, but not entirely through).
- Holding open the sliced puff, spoon the vanilla filling on to the bottom half. Close the top half of the puff on top of the filling, like a little sandwich.
- Fill all of the puffs, and then dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve cold! Try not to eat them all!