This time of year is the end of cherry season – so I’ve been trying to load up on them before I can’t find them at the grocery store anymore. This summer’s harvest has been as fresh and delicious as ever. I usually just eat mine as is, but my eyes were bigger than my stomach when I bought quite a few pounds of them recently. I knew I wouldn’t have enough time to snack on my cherries before they started to go bad, so I had to start incorporating them into some pies, tarts, and breads.
This was the perfect opportunity to have fun with my bread machine (some of you know how obsessed I am with my bread machine). This bread has a wonderful balance of components and flavors – a bit of fruity sweetness from the cherries, a bit of dense chewiness from the whole wheat flour, and just a tad of spice from the cinnamon and nutmeg. This loaf is perfect sliced up and eaten as toast with butter and jam, in the bread basket at dinnertime, or as a killer PB&J.
DARK CHERRY WHEAT BREAD
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 1/4 cups of water
3 Tbsp. of butter, cut into pieces
2 1/4 cups of bread flour
3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
2 1/2 Tbsp. of light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. of salt
1 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. of ground nutmeg
2 1/2 tsp. of bread machine yeast
~15-17 sweet dark cherries, pitted and diced
WHAT TO DO:
- In the pan of the bread machine, layer the ingredients in the following order: water, salt, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg.
2. Dump the whole wheat flour and bread flour into the bread pan, but don’t mix or stir. Make a well with your finger in the center of the flour.
3. Fill the flour well with the bread machine yeast, and place the pan in the machine. Set the machine to the following settings: BASIC CYCLE, 1.5 LB LOAF, DARK CRUST.
4. While the bread machine is kneading the ingredients into a soft dough, add the cherries.
5. The machine will continue to knead. If the dough seems too dry, add water by the tablespoon. If the dough seems too wet, add flour by the tablespoon. Allow the bread to rise in the machine.
6. One the machine allows the bread to rise, it will bake the bread to perfection. Once the work is done, the machine will beep. Immediately remove the bread from the pan and allow to cool – then slice & enjoy!