This is basically my own twist on a classic dump cake. I don’t personally like how a dump cake is baked in layers – with the fruity pie filling on the bottom of the pan. I like a more cakey texture, so I combine my fruit filling with a cup of the cake mix and some fresh fruit – and use the rest of the dry mix to make the buttery crunchy topping.
For this particular cake I used blackberry pie filling and lemon cake mix. My family LOVES lemon, and blackberries (or blueberries) work so nicely with lemon cake. Other pairings I love for this recipe are:
peach (or strawberry) pie filling + yellow (or golden butter) cake mix
cherry pie filling + devil’s food (or chocolate) cake mix
pumpkin (or apple) pie filling + spice cake mix
FRUITY CRUNCH CAKE
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 can of any kind of fruit pie filling (I used blackberry)
1 pint of fresh fruit (use whatever the filling is made from – I used a pint of blackberries)
1 box of cake mix (I used lemon)
1 stick of butter, melted
nonstick cooking spray
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9″x13″ pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pie filling, fresh fruit, and 1 1/2 cups of the dry cake mix. Stir until fully combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the dry cake mix over the top.
- Drizzle the melted butter.
- With a butter knife, swirl the butter in to/over the dry cake mix and fruit mixture. You want most of the dry mix to have some butter on it.
- Bake until the top has formed a golden brown & crunchy crust, about 40 minutes.
- Cut it up & devour!