I love a good hamburger from the grill, but lately I’ve been getting bored by the standard burger. I’ve been switching things up a bit – occasionally I’ll make chicken burgers instead of beef, I’ll experiment with different cheeses, and I’ve done pretty well with trying a variety of toppings. I’ve gone from the staples of lettuce, tomato, and pickles to pulled pork, hot peppers, and fried eggs.
The other day I found sweet Italian sausage patties in the grocery store and I just had to grab them. It’s been a long time since I’ve had sausage & peppers (one of my favorite comfort foods), and I was determined to turn one of my favorites into a burger. I decided to kick things up a notch by giving my burgers some classic garlic bread buns.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE & PEPPER BURGERS
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 package (4 patties) of sweet Italian sausage
4 hamburger buns (I used potato rolls)
1 large vidalia onion, sliced
1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded & sliced
1 large orange bell pepper, seeded & sliced
1 Tbsp. of minced garlic
1 tsp. of dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. of black pepper
3 Tbsp. of olive oil, divided into 1 Tbsp. and 2 Tbsp.
WHAT TO DO:
- FOR THE PEPPERS – In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil and saute the onions & peppers until caramelized.
- FOR THE GARLIC BREAD BUNS – In a small bowl, mix the remaining 2 Tbsp. of olive oil, dried Italian seasoning, black pepper, and minced garlic. Heat in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Separate the hamburger buns and brush the garlic oil on the insides of the top and bottom buns. Bake the buns on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree F oven for around 8 minutes, or until golden.
- FOR THE SAUSAGE PATTIES – On a grill set to medium heat, grill the sausage patties until they are firmed up and cooked through (I like mine with quite a bit of char).
- TO ASSEMBLE – Place a patty on the bottom half of the garlic bun, generously top with onions and peppers, and place the other garlic bun on top. Dig in & enjoy! Makes 4 servings.