OK, so these technically aren’t a baked good, but they’re damn good.
Chocolate + peppermint is an EPIC Christmas dessert combination… and if you throw Oreos into the mix, it becomes even more magical.
I first made Oreo truffles around 10 years ago, and have since tweaked the recipe. I have used 4 different Oreo flavors (regular, peppermint, golden, and peanut butter) and so far this is my absolute favorite variation. If you’re one of those people who hates mint chocolate, you can always use a different combination of Oreo, chocolate, and extract.
PEPPERMINT DARK CHOCOLATE OREO TRUFFLES
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 package of Peppermint Oreos
1 8 oz. brick of cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp. of peppermint extract
1/4 cup of powdered sugar
12 oz. of bittersweet chocolate chips
WHAT TO DO:
- Using a food processor, pulse all of the Oreos into fine crumbs. Put 3 cups of the crumbs in a large mixing bowl, and set the rest of the crumbs aside.
- Stir the powdered sugar into the Oreo crumbs.
- Add in the softened cream cheese. Knead the crumbs into the cream cheese until there are no crumbs left and a very thick ‘dough’ has formed. This will kind of have the consistency of play-doh.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into 1-1.5″ balls, placing them on a lined cookie sheet. Once all the balls have been rolled, pop the cookie sheet into the fridge for around 2 hours. Let them harden.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a glass bowl, stirring in the peppermint extract. One by one, dip the hardened oreo balls into the mint chocolate. Once coated, place back on the cookie sheet.
- Once all the balls are coated, sprinkle the reserved Oreo crumbs over the top. Return the cookie sheet back to the fridge for another 2 hours until chocolate shell has set. Your truffles are now ready! Eat up & enjoy! Beware though – these are highly addictive.