Anyone from NY knows that rainbow cookies are a big deal. They are a colorful staple in almost every bakery.
These traditional Italian cookies are chewy, soft, fruity, nutty, and chocolatey. They’re basically perfect, and beautiful to boot.
Making them takes a little bit of patience, but worth every minute. Give it a try!
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 can (12 oz.) of almond filling (NOT almond paste!)
1 1/2 cups of butter, softened
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp. of almond extract
1 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. of salt
2 cups of flour
3 different colors of food coloring (I have used a variety of colors, but the most traditional would be green, red, and yellow)
1 (12 oz.) jar of jam (I have used raspberry, apricot, and strawberry)
1 cup of bittersweet chocolate chips
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 3 large cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix the almond filling, egg yolks, extract, butter, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Once the batter is smooth, stir in the flour until there are no lumps and it has formed a dough consistency.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the dough.
- Divide the dough among 3 bowls. Use the food coloring to stain the dough in each bowl. If you want pale colors, use less food coloring. If you want rich color, use more food coloring.
5. Spread each portion of dough out on to a parchment-lined pan and bake until lightly browned (10-15 minutes depending on dough thickness). Allow to cool completely.
6. Carefully turn the green layer out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. The plastic wrap should be large enough to wrap all 3 layers.
7. Spread 1/2 of the jam onto the green dough sheet. Top with the yellow dough sheet. Spread the other 1/2 of the jam onto the yellow dough sheet, and top with the red. Use the plastic wrap to tightly wrap the layers.
8. Place the wrapped layers in the refrigerator, and place something heavy like a wooden cutting board on top to ‘press’ them together. Leave in the fridge overnight.
9. The next day, remove the layers from the fridge and unwrap. Melt the chocolate chips and spread over the layers. Allow to cool.
10. Cut into bite-size pieces and devour!
Try experimenting with different colors!