Fall is the ideal time for apple recipes.
With Thanksgiving being tomorrow, this recipe certainly comes in handy. From start to finish, this super-simple apple cake only takes around 35 minutes to prepare and tastes REALLY good.
It also makes a perfect day-after-Thanksgiving breakfast 😉
SEMI-HOMEMADE APPLE CAKE
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. of ground ginger
1/4 tsp. of nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
1 can (~15 oz.) of apple pie filling
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, empty out the can of pie filling. Using a knife, slice up the apples so they are diced into small pieces.
- Combine the apple mixture with the beaten eggs.
- Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to the apple/egg mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Gradually stir in the yellow cake mix until there are no lumps in the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased 9″x13″ baking pan. Bake for approx. 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely before serving. I typically like to cover my apple cake in cream cheese frosting, but that is totally optional. The cake is yummy enough to stand on its own without frosting, or with just a dusting of powdered sugar. This time I cut up the cake into chunks and brought it to school so my students could sample a holiday treat 🙂
HAPPY EATING & HAPPY (early) THANKSGIVING!