I’ve been all about farmer’s markets this summer. There are a few that run weekly fairly close by, and I’ve been making it a point to go and load up on freshly grown produce (among other things).
I prefer to eat a bit lighter during the summertime. Maybe it’s because it’s hot out, or that I’m sweaty, or not as hungry – who knows. But I always see summer as the opportune time to start taking healthy eating a little more seriously and to add a hefty amount of fruits & veggies to my diet.
I have been buying a ton of zucchini. It’s pretty versatile, and can be prepared in a lot of different ways – all of them delicious, and all of them super filling.
SPICY CHICK PEAS & ZUCCHINI NOODLES
WHAT YOU NEED:
4 medium-sized zucchini, spiral cut into “noodles”
~25 grape tomatoes, sliced into halves
1 can (15 oz.) of chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp. of minced garlic
2 Tbsp. of olive oil
3/4 tsp. of crushed red pepper flakes
Salt (to taste)
WHAT TO DO:
- Turn the zucchini into zoodles using a spiral cutter.
2. In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil and add the garlic. Saute until golden.
3. Add the zoodles to the pot, give them a stir in the garlic oil, and cover. The zoodles will release liquid and “shrink”. Reduce for around 3 minutes.
4. Stir in the crushed red pepper flakes and the can of chick peas. Let simmer for around 4 minutes.
5. Stir in the grape tomatoes and season with salt to taste.
6. Plate up! I like to sprinkle some pecorino romano cheese over mine, but if you are going the vegan route just leave it be – it’s still delicious!