I LOVE these oat bars. They’re ideal for a grab-and-go breakfast, a quick snack, or a healthier dessert.
The sweetness from the bananas and honey perfectly balance out the bitterness from the dark chocolate (or the tartness from the Craisins if you would like to go that route) and wonderfully complement the taste of peanut butter.
This recipe is already egg and dairy free, so if you wanted to make it completely vegan you can just substitute the honey with some maple syrup.
SWEET & CHEWY OAT BARS
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 cup of natural peanut butter (unsweetened)
1/4 cup of canola oil
2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup of honey
1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. of baking powder
3 1/2 cups of rolled oats
3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips OR 3/4 cup of Craisins (or both!)
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9″x13″ baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the peanut butter and canola oil. Heat in the microwave for around 20 seconds, until very runny. Whisk together.
- Add the bananas, applesauce, honey, and baking powder. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Gradually fold in the oats until they are completely coated. Stir in the chocolate chips (or Craisins) until they are evenly distributed.
- Pour into the baking pan, and cook for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool, and cut into bars.