This was actually the first time I’ve ever had barley.
I heard it was similar to rice – but with a heartier texture, nuttier taste, and a decent amount of protein. Sounds like a carb I could get used to.
However, I didn’t really know what to pair it with. I searched online for some recipes, but nothing really jumped out at me. Since a plain carb is somewhat of a blank canvas I decided to liven it up with sausage, peas, onions, and cheese – as if it were a pasta dish.
The result was absolutely delicious & super filling! My husband and I practically licked our plates clean, and I’m definitely looking forward to making this again.
TUSCAN BARLEY DINNER
WHAT YOU NEED:
6 sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
1 medium-sized white onion, chopped
1 bag (13 oz.) of frozen peas
1 bag (8.8 oz.) of pre-cooked, quick cook barley (I used Trader Joe’s)
black pepper (to taste)
grated Pecorino Romano cheese (optional)
WHAT TO DO:
- Brown the sausage meat in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook through until they begin to sweat and caramelize.
- Add the frozen peas, and stir until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the barley according to the directions on the package.
- Once the barley is finished cooking, drain and add it to the pan of sausage.
- Stir in the barley, making sure to fully combine all ingredients. Season with black pepper.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes, just enough time to let the barley soak up the flavors from the sausage and veggies. Time to plate it up and top it off with some Pecorino Romano cheese. Enjoy!