Eggplant Parmesan is the ultimate Italian comfort food – hot, saucy, cheesy, and full of flavor… but also full of calories.
This is my lightened-up version of the classic favorite. I use low-fat mozzarella in addition to not breading and frying my eggplant (I know, blasphemy, right?) Instead, I roast my eggplant in the oven before layering it with sauce and cheese.
The result is just as delicious, but you won’t have to feel any of the guilt!
UNBREADED EGGPLANT PARMESAN
WHAT YOU NEED:
2 eggplants, rinsed and sliced into thin rounds
4 cups of your favorite Marinara sauce
4 cups of shredded low-fat Mozzarella cheese
1 tsp. of black pepper
1 Tbsp. of dried Italian seasoning
nonstick cooking spray
salt – to taste
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two large sheet pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lay the eggplant rounds on the sheet pans, and sprinkle with desired amount of salt. Roast in the oven until eggplant starts to shrivel a bit, and slightly darken in color.
- Spray a 9″x13″ casserole dish/baking pan with cooking spray. Pour 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- Layer 1/3 of the eggplant on top of the sauce.
- Spread another cup of sauce over the eggplant, and sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. Repeat with two more layers of eggplant, sauce, and cheese (the top layer will have 2 cups of cheese rather than 1 cup).6. Sprinkle the pepper and Italian seasoning over the top, and lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake for ~40 minutes – or until eggplant is tender, sauce is bubbling, and cheese has completely melted.7. Let cool for a few minutes before cutting and serving. I ate mine with some Barilla protein pasta (a fantastic choice).